Saturday, March 24, 2012

Adventures in Artist's Land

Manuscript written - check.
Self-edit - check.
Finding an artist for the book cover:

I didn't think finding an artist for my cover art would be my first real obstacle.  It sounded simple enough and was anything but.  First, I asked friends and family if they knew of any artists.  My brother introduced me to three but they never got back to me after providing them with a description on what I wanted.  I looked on Craig's List and found two, emailed them, but they didn't get back in contact with me either.  A friend supplied me with an artist's phone number.  He at least did a sketch as we spoke over the phone, even emailed me the sketch.  But this artist didn't get back in contact with me after I emailed him the modifications on the mock up.   

Wondering if residents in the artist's world were allergic to money, I finally remembered this company that I researched for the copy editing portion of my project.  I revisited their website and found they also offered book cover service.  Spoke with the company's rep, we negotiated price and project details, payment was made, and I received three sketches in one week's time.  Talk about ecstatic!  That was Thursday.  So I sent the company rep my modifications and now I am waiting to see (hopefully) the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment